LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | | Subject:The Estrella Cup and Sprint Contest Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
jsilvasiReply: posted - 16 May 2018 16:25
Currently, the website is coded so that only "members" can post. It would be possible to set him up as a "member", but not with any "member" privledges per se'. He should contact me directly at joe@silvasi.net or phone 609-367-2300 and I can set him up. I'm curious to know how the scoring model works. I can also look into including the waypoints that he is using in the new about to be released 2018 ASA AllAZ-2018 Turnpoint files.

Regards,
Joe Silvasi
QRP

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 9 May 2018 15:28
Can we perhaps give Shad posting rights here?

That way he could directly explain how the scoring works, what the categories are, what the monthly tasks are, what the current standings are and answer other questions.

There aren't very many of us active in ASA anymore but if ASA website were the place for this particular information, it could help us bring up the interest level in a new direction of flying activity -- maybe helping Estrella and ASA at the same time.

lmurrayReply: posted - 8 May 2018 21:31
The contest can be flown on any day you are there. There is a different task each month for your expert / high performance classification. I flew the May task last Sunday. I will probably come back sometime this summer and rent the Genesis II to do other tasks. Contact Shad to get more details. The May task has cylinders of different diameters. He had two turn points that were not on my turn-point list, but they showed up in the moving map. He is planning on sending out a cup file for his turn points.

Lee

Christopher AniolReply: posted - 8 May 2018 8:35
Steve, I think that you are way overqualified!
Steve KoernerReply: posted - 8 May 2018 8:27
Wow, prize money!

So what days are the contests held?

What is the nature of the contest?

How is it scored?

lmurrayReply: posted - 7 May 2018 6:06
I should have given you Shad Coulson's e-mail address since he will be sending you links and information via the Internet.

<shadcoulson <AT> gmail.com>

Lee Murray

lmurrayStart of thread: posted - 6 May 2018 21:47
As a follow up to the Arizona Soaring Interest Group (ASIG) Estrella Sailport is offering a venue for glider pilots to learn to fly contests and in the process learn to fly cross country and race. Shad Coulton, the Ops Manager at Estrella is the contact person who an be reached at 520-568-238 during business hours to send you more information. Here are the rules:

General Rules, Guidelines, & Information:
- There is no cost to enter or participate in either competition.
- All participants are required to check-in at the office prior to starting a task
- All participants are required to check-in at the office after completing a task
- All Tasks will start and finish at Estrella Sailport
- All participants are required to either begin their flight with a min 2000’ tow or purchase their fuel from ASI.
- ASI Staff can participate, but are excluded from winning any prize money.
- Winners of the Recreation and Sport classes will be expected to move up to the next class the following year.
- Personnel wishing to participate utilizing ASI aircraft are required to
receive an endorsement from an ASI CFIG for EACH task.
- Personnel wishing to participate utilizing ASI aircraft are required to utilize ASI liability insurance, or provide proof of liability insurance, and adhere to the guidelines established by ASI CFIGs for EACH task.

Prizes:
Each competition will be seeded with a $200 cash prize. For each task run,
or attempted, an additional $2 will be added to the prize pool with a
maximum prize pool of $400 for each competition.
An awards banquet/BBQ will be help the first Saturday in October. Winners
of each competition and the respective classes will be acknowledged.
The winner of the Estrella Sprint will be awarded the Harrenstein Trophy.
The winner of the Estrella Cup will be awarded the Brandt Trophy.

Lee

Log on to post a reply !