LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:2018 Contest Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 15 April 2018 7:53
Sunday's forecast shows a similar airmass to that in place on Saturday, with a few changes that might be helpful. Winds will be lighter and trending to the south, generally more favorable for Estrella, and it should help thermals hold together better.

Models are still conflicted, with GFS, RAP and HRRR showing top-of-the lift above 7,000 feet, with NAM3 (my usual go-to model) being much more pessimistic.

My best guess is that lift will be a little higher, especially to the south, and that thermals should hold together better than Saturday, but it will still be a challenging day for cross-country.

Mike the Strike

Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 14 April 2018 23:22
Thanks Mike, Yes Steve has in the tradition of the late great Bob Von Hellens, Over called the task considering I pulled a Joe the landout "King" Silvasi and landed out at Mobile, about 5 miles away! In all seriousness, it was a really good call as it was a challenging day with very different areas of lift and sink, top of lift and broken half turn 5Knot lift!

Love it, whats in the agenda for tomorrow?

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 14 April 2018 23:10
Congratulations to the several pilots who achieved modest cross-country flights in tricky blue conditions, with GW seeming to be the leader and CH with what looks like a landout.

For Sunday, models are actually trending towards a slightly better day - GFS showing top-of-lift over 7,000 feet and NAM showing 6,500 feet. I'll update the forecast in the morning when the data are fresher.

Mike the Strike

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 14 April 2018 15:07
Of course, nearly everywhere else in the world, lift at 4,000 agl would be a good day, but in Arizona, cross-country with such a small working height band on a blue day is not for the inexperienced or faint-at-heart.

Perhaps three or four local pilots have the skill to do so - including, of course, Cliff (CH) and Steve (GW). I'm watching their traces with interest, noting that top-of-the-lift seems right on forecast at 6,000 feet.

More later....


Mike the Strike

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 13 April 2018 22:06
Sadly, soaring conditions at Estrella this weekend look less than exciting, with top-of-the lift in the 6,000 foot range. This is resulting from stable air with high pressure building behind the departing weather system and cold front. Charts posted on the ASA Facebook page.

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 11 April 2018 11:23
So it looks good for the weekend Friday and Sunday a tad bit better than Sat with Sat top of usable in the 8k range and 4 to 5 kt lift. See you all out there!
lmurrayReply: posted - 10 April 2018 21:17
Charley Hill will be flying in the event this weekend both days. He has a PW-5 at the field. Just thought you should know.
lmurrayReply: posted - 10 April 2018 10:06
For sure I'll be there Saturday and perhaps Sunday. Bobbie will be coming on Saturday for the get together.


Steve KoernerReply: posted - 6 April 2018 13:04
GW planning for both days. Looking forward to that teriyaki chicken.
Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 5 April 2018 21:45
Andy will be bringing Teriyaki chicken bowl and rice please bring a side or dessert to share for the pot luck on Saturday night :) Pilots meeting on Saturday at 10:00 am in front of the hangar. See you all there!
andy78rgReply: posted - 5 April 2018 14:48
AC will be there Saturday and Sunday
jsilvasiReply: posted - 5 April 2018 14:22
QRP will NOT be there on Saturday due to TuSC Board meeting and field duty. I may be there on Sunday if I can get my ship completed, but that is dubious at best currently even though I'm working my little hoofies to the quick trying to get things done. and still need a transponder cert. At least the Panel is complete!

Joe Silvasi

Christopher AniolReply: posted - 2 April 2018 15:29
CA1 plans on both days.
Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 2 April 2018 15:06
Alrighty then, Pleas post here for those that are planning on attending the contest at Estrella on the 14th and 15th. I am planning on being there on Friday to fly as well, so join me if you can!

CH Ventus B
"If were all just dust in the wind, I want to be at the top of a HUGE Dust Devil"

jsilvasiStart of thread: posted - 2 April 2018 14:09
Use this thread for comments about the 2018 Contest.

Joe Silvasi

Log on to post a reply !