LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:TUSC OLC and ASA races Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Steve KoernerReply: posted - 24 May 2017 15:39
At this moment (wed afternoon), Friday and Sat are looking horrid on SkySight. And that's just my luck - those are the two days I have available to come down to Tuscon.

I think that weak conditions wouldn't be conducive to trying out a new format. So that plan is in abeyance for now.

FWIW - Sunday and Monday start looking good again.

Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 17 May 2017 7:31
Well said Steve! I look forward to trying this out!
Steve KoernerReply: posted - 16 May 2017 15:35
For now, my plan is to be there on the 26th and 27th, Fri and Sat.

In a nutshell, here's the idea that Cliff mentions... Most everyone wants to fly OLC flights and also most everyone has enjoyed the handicap Grand Prix flying that we've done. I have a scheme that allows both on the same day.

A 100 mile handicapped task is called which is to be the first 100 miles of your OLC flight. This task component is designed to not compromise achievable OLC scores. That first 100 miles of task is designed to be exactly what you'd likely want to do for the first 100 miles of OLC based on the days weather. On most days that implies having a remote finish somewhere. The called task would likely go through one, two or three turnpoints and end at a remote point. After that, you continue on to rack up an OLC score.

I worked out a plan that makes this work for both the hot rod pilot that wants to go long and probably be a good distance from home upon the first 100 miles completed and also work for the guy that might prefer not to venture too far away from the home field and has somewhat less ambitious OLC intentions.

It's all handicapped to ship performance and everyone competes together regardless of which task you choose. Everyone flies to the same first turnpoint (maybe around 20-30 miles out). Upon reaching the first turn, pilots will have a decision to make: he will choose his task at that point. Either the near in task that keeps him closer to the home field or the more adventurous task that is intended to be optimal for a strong first and second leg of OLC. Depending upon the spectrum of pilots flying, there could even be three tasks available to choose from.

Whichever task is selected, though, it is exactly the same length: a handicapped 100 miles. When you reach the final destination turnpoint, you note your exact GPS time and announce your finish on the radio just as we've done before with handicapped Grand Prix.

It's real-time. It's head-to-head racing. It's uncomplicated and no scoring program is ever needed.

But, it's not over at the finish. Keep going for OLC distance. Celebrate at that end of the day based on your 100 mile sprint performance and your OLC distance performance.

That's the short explanation. There's more details to explain later or I'd be happy to answer questions here if you'd like.

My hope is that this scheme will find interest among the Tucson guys and the ASA pilots. A formula to keep ASA racing alive and well perhaps?

Cliff HiltyStart of thread: posted - 15 May 2017 7:13
Dear race and olc fans,it's almost time for the TUSC OLC camp and during that some ASA racing. Steve Koerner may be coming down and if he does, may be presenting a different style of racing. It's really intriguing and worth the chance to see what people think. Of course you can always opt to just fly OLC or locally. There is no requirement to fly the entire camp and can pick and choose the day or days you wish to fly It's also a great opportunity to get that badge or record flight you have been thinking of and putting off . There will be plenty of Official Observers around to make it happen! So join us and have some fun!

Log on to post a reply !