LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:1st 2017 ASA Meeting Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Bob ThompsonReply: posted - 25 February 2017 6:36
The tv news last night said the AZ DOT will be closing a stretch on I-10 this weekend for road work. Anyone coming to the ASA meeting from the south and east can save having to detour on city streets by simply taking I-17 north to Loop 101 west exit, heading west to where it has bent back south, and exit on Bell Road. This would be a minor inconvenience I would think.
Bob ThompsonReply: posted - 22 February 2017 14:33
I'll be there.
jimwReply: posted - 20 February 2017 13:56
I'll attend.

Jim Whitelaw J8

tholloranReply: posted - 20 February 2017 8:30
I will not be able to attend the meeting because I live in Show Low and I am leaving the following Friday for The Seniors in Florida.
jsilvasiReply: posted - 19 February 2017 13:28
Andy, THANX for your gracious offer to use your down town restaurant for ASA meetings !! I'm sure that the Board will consider using that option in the future.

Regards,
Joe Silvasi
QRP

andy78rgReply: posted - 19 February 2017 12:40
I will attend both meetings, I do think it’s a shame that meetings aren't held regularly, we need to have regular meetings. I have a small restaurant downtown Phoenix at Central and Adams. Its only open from 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM, Monday - Friday. I would be glad to host a monthly meeting there.

I agree with Nigel, if its ASA or ASIG their interests are the same, to fly cross country and go further. I think is a shame that there two clubs in the same general area. For me being in the ASA club, I like to learn anything I can, associate with members and strive to fly further. Currently, I fly the tow plane for Gary Boggs, I enjoy having conversations with people like him and other people that have more experience than I do, its all about learning and doing it safely. I also understand that Gary has been excluded from the ASA club. The clubs that I have been in, that doesn't happen unless someone does something purposely with bad intent. Think there should be one club with regular meetings so we can all enjoy the purpose of soaring.

lmurrayReply: posted - 18 February 2017 18:55
BTW: I will be attending the meeting.

Lee

Snobird

lmurrayReply: posted - 18 February 2017 18:54
I'm gratified that the ASIG is important to ASA. All along I have been making a case that ASA offers a lot to the group members. A couple fliers have made badge flights and big OLC point flights. Dave Nelson was one of those and he has had to get out of his ASH-31 ownership for undisclosed reasons. I'm coming along and hope to lock down a Gold badge this season. We both had become ASA members. I will continue to promote the ASA but we are just a group of people who wish to come together to share information about soaring without dues, memberships and duties, other than a couple of us who put out the soaring forecasts, meeting announcements, and arrange for speakers.

All ASA members are invited to attend and through the fellowship, you are likely to bring your new friends into the ASA organization. The location isn't great for many of you just like Peoria isn't ideal for those who live in SE Phoenix and fly at Estrella. The interest group will be a source of ASA and SSA members as they discover the joy of getting away from the airport and build soaring skills.

Lee

Nigel CrippsReply: posted - 18 February 2017 17:30
Just semantics, not confusion; my point was that the people who fly at Arizona Soaring and who happen to refer to themselves as 'ASIG' which I know isn't an official organization, would appear to be the most likely individuals who might benefit from taking on the ASA's resources.

For those of us who are out of the loop, I'd like to hear if the board has any better ideas, either in this forum which is regrettably still acccessible to the public and therefore not the best medium, or probably better by private email.

Tom DukerichReply: posted - 18 February 2017 17:26
I too cannot attend. I'll be at the Jeff Dunham show.
Arnie JurnReply: posted - 18 February 2017 17:23
Cannot make the scheduled meeting. I will be in California.
Steve KoernerReply: posted - 18 February 2017 12:55
Sorry, will be off sailing in Mexico 2/22 - 3/20. Don't try to schedule around me though.
boardReply: posted - 18 February 2017 11:41
FYI - If we do not get a sufficient number of participants (i.e. current paid members in good standing) for this meeting, we will cancel and reschedule to a later time hoping to do so. In fairness to the Old Country Buffet, that decision will be made by 5PM MST Wednesday February 22, 2017.

The ASA Board

jsilvasiReply: posted - 18 February 2017 11:30
OK, before this goes too far, I am compelled to make a clarification to avoid any possible confusion.

The Arizona Soaring Interest Group (ASIG) is not an alternate group that parallels the Arizona Soaring Association. The name that they chose would more correctly be shown as the "Arizona Soaring" Interest Group or in other words, a group of glider pilots interested in cross country soaring who happen to fly at Estrella Sailport (E68) which is owned and operated by Arizona Soaring, Inc.

If pilots belonging to the ASIG wish to join the ASA (and several have) they are free to do so just as pilots belonging to Tucson Soaring Club or Prescott Soaring Society do today. As I stated in another thread, several ASA members have been mentoring and providing guidance to the ASIG for over 2 years already and will continue to do so for as long as they enjoy what we can provide to them. Since our home page indicates that ASA pilots fly from several locations, including Estrella Sailport, they are already under our umbrella, so to speak. To infer that the ASIG should become a part of the ASA would be no more appropriate than suggesting that PSS or TuSC become part of the ASA.

ASIG is a great bunch of folks whose interest and accomplishments in cross country soaring has come a long way. I've no doubt that they will enhance the sport greatly with their enthusiasm and comaradery. Maybe even the ASA.

Regards,
Joe Silvasi
QRP

Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 18 February 2017 10:41
I too agree with Nigel, and also regret I will not be able to attend. I am shooting in the state dart shoot at Bullshooters on Peoria Ave.It is doubtful that I will be able to get away. For any length of time. Priority for me would be to keep the ASA operating and to get the AISG under our aspuice.
This thread is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Log on to post a reply !