LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:Interesting BFR alternative Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 10 February 2017 9:51
OK thanks Nigel just wanted to clear that up for the many of us that are already, as Mike the Strike would say "Stinkpot" rated!

It definetly sounds interesting for a flight review.

Nigel CrippsReply: posted - 9 February 2017 14:30
Cliff, correct I didn't need that amount of time, I flew just 3 hrs with the instructor to get signed off to fly their RV-12 solo, in conjunction with the flight review I needed. Much of it was familiarization with the G3X.

My point about 10-15 hrs is that's what they suggest is required for a glider pilot without a SEL to reach proficiency for the LSA add-on.

Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 9 February 2017 13:49
Nigel,You did not need 10-15 hours for an LSA did you? If you already have a SEL private your covered. I am assuming you just did the Flight review. (No longer called the BFR as per the FAA)
Nigel CrippsStart of thread: posted - 9 February 2017 9:17
Having recently sold my glider and returning to powered aircraft, I renewed my BFR last month at Glendale airport with Flying-Cacti: they operate an almost-new RV-12 SLSA with all the goodies - twin Garmin G3X touch screens, full ADS-B in/out, etc. A very pleasant experience with instructor Mark.

Sailplane pilots can get their LSA signoff with a proficiency check (i.e. flight review with a second instructor, not a check ride) after 10 to 15 hours of flight instruction plus ground school endorsement; plane + instructor is around $150 per hour.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I wanted to mention it as an interesting way to renew one's BFR as an alternative to doing just the regular sailplane thing, and it can provide a very interesting insight into the type of electronics now being used in light sport & experimental aircraft.

Log on to post a reply !