LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:Looks good in the high country today (Tues) Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Steve KoernerReply: posted - 31 May 2016 21:22
Yep, I towed to Towers. But even still did not get the really fast start that is crucial for speed record.

I had huge variometer problems all day that really messed things up for me. When I got near to the second turn I was only showing 81 mph. At 16K that equates to about 84 mph at the finish -- too slow to make it up. So I aborted and made it an OLC flight instead.

I never was able to reasonably adapt to my backup vario. I guess if you're serious about backup varios, they need to be the same type with the same parameter settings making the same noises.

Nasty fire north and west of Payson made it hard to see the ground over quite a ways on the final leg.

Nigel CrippsReply: posted - 31 May 2016 9:45
Hope it goes well Steve. I was out at Turf yesterday for a Grand Canyon flight but couldn't get high enough to reach the clouds, trapped in the Turf vortex; the forecast looked very nice from there on north. Others have since suggested I should have motored up to Towers.....
Steve KoernerStart of thread: posted - 31 May 2016 7:51
I may be working on 750 triangle speed: Towers - Tuba City - St Johns - Towers. It's a long shot since it takes 94.26 mph for US record or 97.37 for world. Delorme will be running.

Log on to post a reply !