LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ┬Ąt_page=1 | Subject:Grand Prix this weekend at Turf (4/23 - 4/ Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Cliff HiltyReply: posted - 25 April 2016 20:46
It was a bit better than even Mike forecast, at least out by Sampley. Got to 11k later in the day but winds also picked up to 20 at altitude. I had a few new people flying at aguila this week and didnt want to leave them to race at Turf but was a little surprised not to hear anyone flying at Turf on Sunday
Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 24 April 2016 7:51
Less wind forecast today - 10 to 15 knots at top of the lift. Conditions at Pleasant Valley today should be similar to yesterday with lift to around 6,500 feet at 14:00. Thermals to the north and west a bit less strong than yesterday, although they should hold together better with the lighter wind. Top of the lift will be a bit lower than yesterday, perhaps around 8,500 feet.

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 23 April 2016 21:00
Apologies for undercalling the wind! We had a 40-knot gust at El Tiro just after noon that nearly upset the towplane. I'll give you an update tomorrow morning.

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 23 April 2016 20:10
Saturday was interesting. The task was nominally 250K but in reality quite a bit less than that since we handicap the task with large turnpoint radii. the task was: Turf, Vulture Mine, Date Creek, Tonopah, Turf. My actual OLC distance shows 220K; on task time was 2:02:37.

The wind was a major factor. We frequently saw 18 knots and once saw 23 knots out of WSW. Everyone noted big areas of intense sink. Thermals were commonly 700 to 800 FPM when they could be centered. Heights were as Mike Forecast. My best altitude was 9400 ft. Most of our intrepid flyers eventually choose to turn back rather than fight the sink and wind. Some made multiple valiant attempts to battle directly into the wind on the first leg only to be beaten back each time.

Thanks to all who came out and gave their best. Tomorrow is cancelled.

My feeling is that the format is working well. The beauty of it is that it's real racing and results are known on the field and we just don't need no stinkin scorer.

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 23 April 2016 8:55
Saturday morning weather update - all models are showing top-of-the lift at 14:00 at between 6,600 and 7,000 feet near Lake Pleasant. This will improve to the north and west and is showing above 9,000 feet from Wickenburg into the desert and mountains. There will be an inversion early (as often seen near Phoenix). The good news is the higher winds will be restricted more to the south - expect south-westerlies at 10 to 15 knots. A 250 km to 300 km task should be doable.

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 22 April 2016 20:39
Thanks Mike.

Facebook or not, weak soaring or not, we'll have a great Grand Prix race this weekend. See you all at the field.

Since we'll now be recording our own finish time to the second, be sure to have a clock that is either indicating GPS time or you know how to correct to GPS time. Implies need for paper and pen too or a much more reliable memory than mine.

jsilvasiReply: posted - 22 April 2016 20:29
No chance of FB replacing the discussion forum. However, the 3 new software packages that I've been looking at to use as a basis to wrap a new web site around all provide the capability of making graphics posts. So fret not Steve, Nigel, et al - the discussion forum will still be the primary vehicle to deliver business, contest and other info directly related to the association. FB is intended to present a more social aspect of the ASA to a broader cross section of people who may or may not be ASA members but are merely interested in following what going on. With luck, it may attract enough interest for some to actually decide to join the ASA !!

Regards,
Joe Silvasi
QRP

Nigel CrippsReply: posted - 22 April 2016 17:00
My thoughts exactly Steve. I've no intention of joining Facebook so I hope we will not miss out on important information. Maybe I'll have to get Lan to watch it, she joined FB just so we could get our daily dose of granddaughter photos.

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 22 April 2016 16:58
Well, I like that I can post graphics on Facebook, which I can't do here. One or two graphs can summarize the soaring potential better than a whole bunch of words.

Anyway, both days you'll get modest thermals with task averages in the 2.5 to 3 knot range with top-of-the lift between around 7,000 and 8,500 feet near home, a bit better on the higher ground and as you fly west. It could be a little breezy, especially on Saturday. No cumulus expected.

Conditions should be workable for modest cross-country, but won't be high or fast.

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 22 April 2016 16:29
But, but why?

Does that mean we would need to look in two places to know what's going on in ASA?

Or does it mean that the ASA website is on its way to being replaced by FB?

Or does it mean that anyone who has anything useful to say to the club needs to post it in two places?

And, what about us old farts that absolutely refuse to have a FB account?

jsilvasiReply: posted - 22 April 2016 15:37
Yep - ASA has a facebook page. Been wading thru 82 pages of legal crap and procedures on how, where, what you can and can't do and which FB trademarks/icons you can use. Otherwise, I'd have the obligatory FB "Follow us" on the home page. It's an alphabet soup of legaleze !!

You should be able to do a search on it and then submit a request to join. We currently have 17 members and can always use a few more !

Regards,
Joe Silvasi
QRP

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 22 April 2016 11:38
I have intended never to play facebook. But I am interested in your forecast Mike. Maybe you can put it on the ASA forum?
Nigel CrippsReply: posted - 22 April 2016 10:55
ASA has a Facebook page? Is there much there that those of us who don't do social media stuff should know about?!
Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 22 April 2016 10:43
I've posted the 3-day XC Skies forecast on the ASA Facebook page. Not as good as it has been, but quite workable,

Mike the Strike

Ventus 2bx WA

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 22 April 2016 9:30
The nice thing about racing is that it doesn't take great weather to have a great race. It just needs to be flyable. My read of the forecast is that it looks flyable - 500 fpm to 7K on Saturday, 8K on Sunday.
This thread is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Log on to post a reply !